Solar cells are converters that make electricity out of light energy by the photovoltaic effect. Made with organic semiconductors, organic solar cells are light and flexible, can produce electricity with a small amount of sunlight, and can be manufactured at a low cost. As a result, they are suitable for products that need self-generated electricity such as solar windows or certain military products rather than for solar power plants. In Angewandte Chemie, a renowned journal for the field of chemistry, a POSTECH master’s student published a paper on a new manufacturing technology for org..
Atransparent and flexible organic transistor was recently developed by a POSTECH-SKKU joint research team. Professors Kilwon Cho and Kwang Soo Kim teamed up with Professor Byung Hee Hong at Sungkyunkwan University and worked on graphene, the ‘dream material,’ stepping into the market of next generation displays such as transparent monitors, windows, and flexible displays that can function like GPS navigation systems on automobiles and wearable electronic devices. The research team used graphene as electrodes for Organic Thin-Film Transistors (OTFTs) and successfully produced a flex..
It is not uncommon for diseases such as diabetes, hypertension and cancer to develop complications. Recently, a research team led by Professor Sanguk Kim of Department of Life Science successfully devised a method for predicting disease complications based on comorbid disease pairs by employing a network medicine approach. Jointly with Professor Sung Ki Jang of Life Science, PhD candidate Solip Park, and Professor Juyong Park of Kyung Hee University, Professor Kim published a paper, ‘Protein localization as a principal feature of the etiology and comorbidity of genetic diseases’ in..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20111030000213300 students including Chinese and Japanese expected to join program every yearMajor universities in South Korea, China and Japan will launch a joint degree program next year as part of efforts to expand academic exchanges, the Education Ministry said Sunday.The Education Ministry and the Korean Council for University Education announced 10 South Korean colleges and universities chosen to partner with Chinese and Japanese universities under the Campus Asia program.The program is an Asian version of the Erasmus Mundu..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110925000272A new era in the relationship with Brazil began when agencies in Korea and Brazil committed their resources to a “partnership without borders.”Brazil and Korea’s first Joint Science and Technology Committee Meeting set up the fundamentals for synergistic collaboration.For Brazil Ambassador Edmundo Fujita, the joint committee meeting paved the groundwork for a new phase in the relationship, where the knowledge and innovation potential of both nations can be integrated.“Brazil and Korea are enj..
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2011/09/117_95313.htmlAn international team of scientists led by a Korean professor said Friday that a rise in air-borne contaminants causes pollution levels in the ocean to go up, which eventually will affect marine life.According to Lee Ki-taek, a professor of environmental science and engineering from the Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), the level of nitrate in South Korean waters has soared as much as eight-fold in less than two decades.The nitrate level in waters off the country's southern island of Jeju jumped fro..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110908000884From as early as 2014, anti-cancer stem cell treatment will be available through a joint firm established by Pohang University of Technology and Science and Catholic University of Korea, the schools said Monday.According to the joint venture “PoCaStem,” the treatment “GX-051” involved injecting adenovirus that prompts the anti-carcinogenic treatment gene, IL-12M, into a stem cell. The substance is reported to induce immune reactions to tumors and has been proved effective on metastatic cance..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110830000635Kim Yong-min, president-to-be of POSTECH (Pohang University of Science and Technology), has been honored with the 2011 William J. Morlock Award given by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, the university said Tuesday.Established in 1960 by the family of William J. Morlock, the award is given semi-annually to people who have made innovative applications of electronic techniques and concepts to solve biomedical problems.Kim was recognized with his ..
Professor Kwang Soo Kim has come forth with a revolutionary and unprecedented method for DNA sequencing that can potentially decode 3 billion pairs of human genes in an hour. The field of DNA sequencing caught the world’s attention when the Human Genome Project was successfully completed in 2003, and many developed nations have since been competing to develop ways to increase the speed of genetic sequencing and analysis. This research is closely related with treating intractable or rare diseases and therefore will have important implications for life science. Professor Kim, well-known fo..