- Prof. Kwang Soo Kim and Prof. Hong Gil Nam are two of five "National Scientists"named by the National Research Foundation of KoreaProf. Kwang Soo Kim (Chemistry, 60) and Prof. Hong Gil Nam (Life Science, 53) of POSTECH have been named "National Scientists", the highest honor that is accorded to scientists of greatest achievement.The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology and the National Research Foundation of Korea announced on April 28, that five scientists including the two from POSTECH were nominated as National Scientists for their original, world-class research achievements. The..
* Link : http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/328/5977/414-bInternationalization: Max Planck Tests the Korean WatersDennis Normile and Gretchen VogelIn another sign of the Max Planck Society's desire to extend its reach beyond Germany, it is negotiating with Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) to establish two joint research centers there. The South Korean side would like to see the centers evolve into a full-fledged Max Planck Institute. But because of some hard-learned lessons, Max Planck is being cautious about its commitment, and officials warn that the deal is not ..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2010/02/24/201002240048.aspAs Korean universities strive to become world-class universities, the number of courses instructed in English has dramatically increased as of late. Some universities require that even the departments of Korean literature and Korean history offer courses taught in English. Some professors are in favor of these "globalizing" changes, while others are doubtful.Amid the controversy, Pohang University of Science and Technology or POSTECH recently announced that it will transform into an English-only zone withi..
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2010/02/117_61241.htmlPohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) in Pohang City, North Gyeongsang Province, has unveiled a 150 billion won project to push itself to join the ranks of the world's top 50 universities.Its plan centers around hiring 10 Nobel Prize or Fields Medal winners in science and math, and setting up a world-class education environment by spending a total of 150 billion won over the next three years. It is the second initiative to be announced by President Baik Sung-gi in recent days. However, the school's plan ..
* Link : http://www.nanoscienceworks.org/articles/korea2019s-postech-explores-nanotechnology-frontiersKorea’s POSTECH Explores Nanotechnology FrontiersJust over two years after the establishment of one of Korea's most noted nanotechnology education and research center, the National Center for Nanomaterials and Technology (NCNT) at POSTECH or Pohang University of Science and Technology, NanoScienceWorks.org is pleased to feature an interview with Prof Yoon-Ha Jeong, visionary founder of NCNT and VP of Research at POSTECH. ***************************************************Korea’s PO..
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2009/11/123_56084.htmlCarbon nanotubes, known for their remarkable properties that can be used for advanced electronics and materials, appear to have the potential to be used for combating cancer as well, local scientists said Tuesday.A research team led by Kosin University's Lee Sang-ho and Pohang University of Science and Technology's (POSTECH) Choi Hee-cheul claimed to have discovered a method to allow carbon nanotubes to be used as agents for photo-thermal therapy in a study published by peer-reviewed journal, American Chemical Society (ACS..
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/10/117_52814.htmlPohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) has the lowest dropout rate among 188 universities. According to the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Thursday, POSTECH had 17 students give up their studies at the university last year, out of a total of 1,711 ― 1 percent of the total student body. The average dropout rate among institutes of higher education, including 2-year and 3-year colleges, stood at 5 percent. Among those who left their original schools, 44 percent voluntarily withdrew, 33 per..
As the eventful year of 2008 comes to a close and the New Year of 2009 begins, I wish all of you a New Year full of happiness and love.2009 is the Year of the Ox. There is an old saying that goes, “Ox pace takes you a thousand miles,” which means slow and steady steps take you much farther. This year’s start is cloudier and gloomier than ever. The recent global economic crisis has been even more brutal than the foreign exchange crisis we experienced a decade ago. At a time of such hardship, we should learn from the wisdom of the ox, not panicking or getting nervous, but being..
Honorable founding Chairman Tae-Joon Park, fellow Postechians, guests, ladies and gentlemen!We are gathered here today to commemorate the significant occasion of POSTECH’s 20th Anniversary.I would like to extend my deepest respects to the founding Chairman Tae-Joon Park for his dedication and resolution to establish a world-class research-oriented university despite overwhelming criticism and opposition 20 years ago and to POSTECH Foundation and POSCO for their absolute confidence and wholehearted support. Also, warm welcome is due to the many dedicated people who have contributed to mak..