* Link : http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120531000840&cpv=0South Korea’s Pohang University of Science & Technology, also known as POSTECH, has topped the rankings of the world’s top 100 universities under 50 years old.The Times Higher Education, a weekly British magazine based in London, published on Thursday the list that features institutions from 30 countries.POSTECH, which was founded in 1986, headed the list with a total of 71.8 points, followed by Switzerland’s Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne with 66.2 points.The Hong Kong University of Sci..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20120517001024President Lee Myung-bak vowed Thursday to provide policy support to develop the country’s basic science research.“We have so far copied and followed advanced technologies,” Lee said in an international symposium celebrating the opening of the Institute for Basic Science in Daejeon, some 150 kilometers south of Seoul.“In order to make it into the advanced, top-class nations, we have to make a history of creation based on basic science and fundamental technologies,” he added, noting that ..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20120508001126Ten of Korea’s top scientists, including chemist Kim Ki-moon from POSTECH and biologist Kim V. Narry from Seoul National University, have been named to lead the state-run research center for basic sciences.The Institute for Basic Science announced the list of its directors after four months of assessment.The IBS was established in Daejeon in 2011, as a part of the government’s 5.2 trillion won science belt project, with the aim of developing human resources through basic scientific research.A total of 10..
Pohang Accelerator Laboratory Selected as One of the Heritages of Korean UniversitiesThe Kyosu Shinmun, under the slogan “The Heritages of Universities, the Future of Korea,” awarded 13 heritages including Pohang Accelerator Laboratory that present great academic performance, contribute to society and were selected from 49 heritages of 44 universities nationwide. The award ceremony was held at the Seoul Press Center on April 30.
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2012/05/181_110143.htmlTo cultivate global leaders, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) opened an information technology laboratory at its campus in Pohang, North Gyeongsang Province, Monday.The facility is called the POSTECH Future IT Innovation Laboratory (i-Lab).In collaboration with the Ministry of Knowledge Economy, the i-Lab aims to produce researchers who will become leaders in the field of global information technology.The central government, provincial and municipal authorities, POSTECH, the Korea campus of the St..
* Link : http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20120405001028Pohang University of Science and Technology said Thursday that they have created a presidential fellowship with the Japanese company Hitachi to assist students’ science research.The $1.3 million scholarship will be available to students who will conduct research on medical equipment, the major field of study for school president Kim Yong-min.The school noted that the scholarship was created from money left over from the president’s research fund from Hitachi and a donation from the company.They said it i..
POSTECH receives "2012 Role Model in Education" AwardPOSTECH has been selected as the recipient of the "2012 Role Model in Education" Award by the Korean Journalist Federation in recognition of its innovative management and initiative in advancing Korean higher education with customized education. The award ceremony was held at the Korea Press Center in Seoul on March 15.
* Link : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2012/03/123_106013.htmlKorean scientists have developed a photocatalyst that can significantly increase the efficiency of producing hydrogen from sunlight, the government said Thursday.The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology said a research team led by Lee Jae-sung, a professor of chemical engineering from the Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), devised a method to make large quantities of hydrogen.Hydrogen is a key natural resource and has the potential to be used in next generation power cells that may effectively..